2016's FLOODGATES CLOSED
Oi! We opened 2016's floodgates 3/23 + 3/24, & received incredible community support spreading the submissions call / writers entrusting their manuscripts to us. In two days, we received over 100 manuscripts, & are currently digging thru them for 3 winners of 10 finalists to be announced in the coming weeks.
Please note, any submissions received forward from today [3/25/16] will not be considered for publication.
If you're seeking a home for your writing / art, dig thru our links page for publishers we'd recommend.
Inspired by Mark Cugini’s BEST PRIZE chapbook contest over at Big Lucks, N! kicked off our Chapbook Contest series early 2015 to prepare for its third round at the N.Y.C. Poetry Festival. This was all new to us. N! hadn't run a project like this before.
Community response took us off guard. Over 80 submissions landed in our inbox within 48 hrs. The support we received throughout the process staggered exhausted evenings with new energy. The year rounded out successfully with selling out the collections within months of their release! 2015's winners are now available as free PDFs, & were awarded "Best Chapbook Series" among The Fifth Annual Beachies.
2016's Contest brought new noise to our lil table in our corner of the internet. Expanding off of last 2015's experiences, we released the chapbooks at the 2016 NYC Poetry Festival + we set fire to our van's roof hitting more festivals w/ our traveling bookstore + debuted them as free PDFs after a successful digital-reading-rompus celebrating a fulfilling year <3
Christoper Morgan shared an Advanced Submission Calls write up in 2015 highlighting what we're after. Below are the basic submission guidelines, but reading Christopher's submission call will provide a more detailed account regarding our goals with this contest, and what we hope to receive in our inbox (passion, soul, trumpet spit, more saliva than notes, ya know?).
Contest Guidelines & Highlights
- FREE TO SUBMIT!
- TWO-DAY ‘FLASH’ SUBMISSION PERIOD THRU [ XXX ]
- Please include your pronouns in your submission so we refer to you how you want to be :)
- Winners’ books debut at [ XXX ]
- Winners have the opportunity to represent N! on stage @ the [ XXX ]
- E-book release ~late 2016
- Winners are invited to feature @ N!‘s yearly online reading
- Winners receive ~25 free author copies & will have their chapbooks shared across two small print runs
- Winners will have their chapbooks reviewed within N!‘s network of allies.
- Submissions must be 20 pages min/25 pages max (including ToC, Acknowledgements, etc)
- Acknowledgments page required for all previously published pieces
- Prose or Poetry welcome, as well as Hybrid or Translation
- Traditional or Experimental styles are fine
All submission entries should be accompanied by a 2-4 sentence bio and any relevant links in the body of the email. All submissions should be attached as a doc/docx/pdf/txt file to the email. Submissions are ONLY ACCEPTED on the designated flash submission days. Any entry received forward from the selected dates will not be considered for publication.
Please send your submissions to:
[ *** ]